Saturday, January 14, 2017

Keuka Lake & More Jack Perch

Keuka Lake Perch in January 2017 Apthorpes
JP, Shu, Johnny-boy, Jake and I headed out in the Grady White again looking for more Jack Perch on Keuka Lake.  Seneca and Cayuga lakes are the best known for their giant perch, but we have been really enjoying having similar success on Keuka Lake this winter.  The wind was a stiff 15-20mph out of the south so we headed to the sheltered bays.
Johnny-Boy, Shu, Jake and me January 2017 Keuka 

JP Perchasaurus
Shu tossing this one back
This outing I was conscious about using 4 pound fluorocarbon at the end of 4 pound monofilament.  I just use regular fluorocarbon line and not the "leader line".  The only time I ever think there is a difference is when we are musky/pike fishing and then I will use 80 pound fluoro-leaders.  I have also become sold on using Owner Mosquito Hooks #6....very impressed with them and that is all we use now.  There is no terminal tackle on our rigs.  I use a blood-knot to tie the fluoro to the mono line.  I put two hooks on loops.  Loops are important because they allow the minnow to swim naturally, important for catching big perch.

The cycle was typical for perch fishing.  We would get on the school for an hour than we would have to move with the school.  Fortunately Jake worked the anchor which was a huge help.  Jake and JP definitely caught the most fish with Shu catching the biggest, a lake trout in 26' of water.

Jake with a pickerel
Jake, Norwich Senior, USAF 
An interesting observation on these perch was that they were gorging themselves on perch minnows.  I always thought that pike were the only cannibal freshwater fish.  I read this article on Oneida perch and they will indeed eat their young.....The second observations is some of the perch had zebra mussels in their mouths.  The rigs we use are off the bottom so it could not have been a coincidental pickup from the bottom while hauling the fish in.  I looked up a research article on the subject and sure enough large perch will eat zebra mussels.

So we kept 75 perch over 10 inches amongst the 5 of us.  They were true slobs and our respective families all enjoyed a wonderful fish fry that evening.  Feels good to have five different "honey-holes" for perch now on Keuka Lake....really starting to get the lake dialed in.
















Johnny Boy

No comments: