Thursday, July 04, 2019

Lake Kipawa Quebec Fishing Trip






The second week of June we decided to do a drive-in trip to Canada.  This year we chose a lake in Quebec called Lake Kipawa.  This is located very close to the Quebec River about an hour from North Bay.  Shu, Jessica, and I headed up on a Saturday.  Jim followed on a Sunday and my Uncle Cam came for the last two days.

Shu with 5lb smalley
We stayed in a cabin that was part of the Chalets Diane camp right on the shore at the north end of the lake next to the Laniel Dam.  Nice thing about a drive in camp is you have good water, hot showers and electricity.  The trade off is nothing compares to the quantity/quality of the fish on a fly in.

Jim with a beauty from the honey hole
This lake is a big lake with lots and lots of islands.  You really have to have a GPS to navigate without getting lost.  I actually have fallen in love with a fishing app called Navionics Boating.  On this lake there was cell service on almost the entire lake so this app has topography and GPS features and for $15 a year it is a terrific app.  Very few weeds, typical Quebec lake with lots of rocks and drop-offs.  One of the prettiest lakes I ever fished.

This year I added Northland Fireball Jigs, stinger hooks, and a bunch of worm harnesses I made.  The fishing was very tough.  The exception was our hosts took us to a honey hole one night. Jessica and I caught walleye, huge whitefish, and smallmouth at desk.  Later Jim caught a beautiful walleye in the same spot.

Jessica w/lake trout
Throughout the week I caught a 28" laker in 5' feet of water jigging a worm w/stinger hook and a 35" northern pike on a homemade worm harness trolling in 15' of water.  I marked lake trout on the bottom of the lake all over the place between 80-120'.  I tried jigging for them like I do on the Finger Lakes, but no luck.

Jim & Shu
Jessica probably caught the most fish, once again.  The lake was beautiful and the hosts were great which is why we might consider a 4 day weekend in the fall fishing.


No comments: