Friday, April 16, 2021

Emerald Coast Pompano Chasing


 

PVC Rod Holders

In February I spent a good deal of time reading about the fishing along the Emerald Coast near Fort Walton/Destin area.  Lots out there about the legendary pompano runs in March-May.  I learned a


was essential to easily move a lot of equipment along the sandy surf (cooler, chair, bait, rods, etc...) and that the cart needed to have BIG wheels.  Tracy and I bought a cheap surf cart for $100 than replaced the tires with 12 inch sand wheels. We added some PVC racks and it came out terrific.  I also enjoyed spending cold February making surf rod holders complete with cutting boards and drink holders.  

The "Boys"
Dawn on Navarre Beach
On the long drive to Crestview from Honeoye Falls I enjoyed listening to two infamous pompano fisherman Larry "fisherman" Finch and Matthew Isbell "Bama Beach Bum" .  I learned a lot from both of these guys.  I learned that Sand Fleas are the best bait and use with a 1/0 circle hook.  Walmart sells a cheap crab rake and fleas can be raked in the sand.  Tracy was excellent at raking fleas in the surf, albeit they were much smaller than the ones bought at a bait store.

A brief review of the two bait stores I visited in Florida.  Emerald Bait and Tackle had the best live sand fleas.  However, they were often out of live sand fleas and I learned to call ahead before driving there.  They also sold me Fish Gum and Fish Bites which are popular artificial scent baits.  I only caught 1 fish on these baits, the rest were on sand fleas.  Half-Hitch Bait Shop in Navarre was the other bait shop which I mistakenly thought had live sand fleas.  They did not, only frozen ones.  However there was a gentleman who I think was either the manager or owner was super helpful on advice on when and where "Joe-Q Public" could surf fish.

The two areas we fished on were Okaloosa Island and Navarre Beach. Okaloosa island is lined with high rise hotels, however there is public access to the beach in between every 4-6 hotels.  Each access has clean bathrooms and outdoor showers.  The challenge is the beach is lined with beach chairs and umbrellas so it is impossible to fish on sunny days unless you get there early and setup your rod holders to mark off your area.  The life guards tell swimmers to back away if they get within 50' of your line, which they do all the time.  It is so funny to me how many people do get there are some sharp hooks on the end the fishing lines they choose to swim next too.  I caught 4 bull red fish drum.  Only one fell into the slot limit at 27" and I had to let the others go.  Jake and I also had our licenses and gear checked over by a FWC Officer.  We were all legal and we thanked him for his professionalism.

Okaloosa Island


Navarre Beach is the better place to go to avoid swimmers, but you have to get there before dawn if you want to get a good spot.  This beach also has clean bathrooms and outdoor showers.  At this beach I was continually surprised by the number of fisherman who setup within 20 feet of my rod holders.  There is a huge beach and I guess they are novice fisherman ignorant of the protocols of surf fishing. Most of the pompano were caught here.


Other thoughts....We cooked the pompano and red fish whole on the grill.  They were delicious!!! Tracy and I enjoyed playing backgammon on the beach while fishing.  I read a lot about high tide being the best time to fish, but truthfully I caught the pompano at both high and low tides. I also caught fish on Fish Gum, Fish Bites, frozen and live sand fleas.  The water temperature was unusually cold due to their tough winter which delayed the "run" till probably late April.  I can't wait to do this again next year.



No comments: