Sunday, December 21, 2014




Jake 
Wrapping up another memorable deer hunting season.  Yesterday Jake a

nd finished cleaning all the guns and oiled them up for another year.  In the morning we finished cutting up a doe that he shot in the last hour of the last day with my .50 caliber Omega muzzleloader.  He shot her on the Suor property and went back to the house to get Jessica to help him find the deer.  Sure enough she found the doe right at the edge of the infamous Mines of Moria, a patch of woods choked with thorns that makes tracking very tough and painful.  The took care of the deer all by themselves, first time without their old man to help them and they did a great job.

I was not able to hunt much this season due to being snowed in my work office for four days and closing school for two weeks due to the apocalyptic snow storm in November.  Six feet of snow fell in a 24 hour period...truly unbelievable snow.  I very much enjoyed the time I spent hunting as I got to spend t\quality time with my closest friends and my children.  My hope many years ago was to turn my children on to this sport so that when they became adults it would be a tradition that we spend some time deer hunting together, much like I enjoyed deer hunting with my grandfather, aunt and uncle when I was young.  

Scott, Mark, Bill, JP, Sammy, Jake, Jessica, Dave and myself all bagged something this year with Dave getting the biggest, a ten point shot on the Suor property. This morning we had venison pieces cooking on a cast iron pan over a fire in butter and garlic while we cut up Jake's doe.  Very good!

With the last of the hunting gear put away we now turn our attention to perch and lake trout.  We already are making plans for Seneca and Keuka lakes next week.  Hopefully we will get some good ice this year too.

No comments: