Sunday, April 08, 2018

Nov to April, Catching up on a fun few months

I am just finishing up another long day in San Antonio Texas attending the National School Boards Conference.  I find myself sitting in a comfortable kiosk overlooking the Riverwalk and thought I would close my Sunday off with posting an update on this blog.


Deer camp venison burgers were a big hit again this year with Mr. Flanagan working his magic in the garage and cooking on the Kamado Grill

Since the last posting in November I have really enjoyed my hunting opportunities with the kids.  This was the first time Jake had been home in the fall since high school.  The season was warm and we see saw a lot of mid size bucks 4-8 points.  Jake wounded a large buck on the gas well at the Hedges but we could not find the deer.  Very little blood and it went to the west off the property.  This year the farmer stopped by to tell us we could take deer of the town field next to our house.  He was sharing some incredible data about how much the deer had ravaged his corn fields.  Some fields he said were a total loss.

Jake's 6 pt we buried for a year
Jake shot the only buck and it was a 6 point.  It was his last day to be able to hunt because he had bachelor stuff to tend to....LOL....so we butchered the deer and we buried the skull.  One of Jessica's friend had shown me a skull mount that he made by burying the head for a year.  Jake and I buried the head, wrapped the antlers with foil, and placed car tires over them so as to keep the dogs from getting to them.  We will dig them up in November 2018 and see what we find :-)



Mr. Covel telling Mr. Mitchell how he slayed the evil beast on the Krause property.....hand to hoof combat !!!!


After hunting season Jessica and I had a chance to go fishing on Christmas Eve on Keuka Lake.  The day before Mr. Mitchell and I went to my double secret place for getting oak leaf grubs.  In 15 minutes of hunting them we got about 100.  

Picking oak leaf grubs and fishing with Jessica Christmas Eve on Keuka Lake


I caught this beautiful lake trout on Cayuga Lake.  Dave and I had to take his boat all the way tot he south end because all the launches were unusable due to low water levels.  We found a great bay with a dropoff adjacent to flats so the trout were coming into the shallows to feed.  I am one who likes to use the lightest tackle possible so I was using 6 pound fluorocarbon leaders....big mistake because I lost 6 nice sized fish to broken lines.  Poor Dave got skunked.

Edd Suor's bridge.   Jessica took this picture while the two of us were out looking for antler sheds.  We could believe the water lifted this bridge at least three feet out of the ground and moved it!!!!

Brown Trout from a morning on Lake Ontario with Dave and Shu.  Beautiful day where we fished the muddy shallow water. We caught these guys trolling in 9 feet of water.

No comments: